Pages

Sunday, February 2, 2014

One Last Letter

This past week I have been in the States for a reason I would rather not be. My Great Grandma passed away.  It was a hard week, yet a beautiful one also. I am not going to share all the details, but what I do what to share is a letter I wrote her. Its a letter that I believe she was able to hear before she passed. It is a letter that I want everyone to hear in honor of her. She deserves to be honored and remembered.

Here is the letter and also a photo that was taken on one of the last few days I was able to be with her before she passed. I feel so blessed to have been able to see her in time.

Also "Forever in Letters" is a link to a mini photo project I did in August about her.  Check it out, just because I feel like it should be seen over and over again.

xxx



Dear Grandma,

I am writing a letter to tell you some things that have been on my heart. I pray you are able to listen and hear this with your heart. I need you to hear this so you know how much you mean to me.  You were always so good at writing letters so now I want to write one last one to you.

Grandma, you are such an amazing woman. Your life has been a beautiful story for all of us to see. A story we will keep close to our hearts and read over and over. It is a story filled with your commitment. Filled with your deep passion. Filled with selflessness. Your love for others. Your wisdom. Your grace. Your steadiness. Your impact on others. It was a story that even Grandpa was able to be a part of for years. From the time I was little and could remember, I only heard beautiful stories of you and Grandpa. I have never heard one negative thing about you or him.

I am writing all of this to tell you that your life and the relationship you had with Grandpa has made a huge mark on my life and I need to you know it before you go to be with him and Jesus.  I want my life to mirror yours. I want to grow up to be a woman just like you were. You are such a beautiful woman. I didn't get the privilege to be old enough to remember Grandpa, but I have heard so much about him and I do know you.

Grandma, you are a legend. You raised 3 beautiful kids and you did it so well, even when grandpa was out in the army on and off for years. See Grandma, you are the strongest woman I know.

You wrote beautiful letters to Grandpa everyday just sharing your heart and love, even if you didn't hear from him for a few days you kept writing.  See Grandma, you are the most committed woman I know.

You cared for, hosted so many people and made them feel at home, even if it took all your time and energy. See Grandma, you are the most selfless person I know.

You loved each other so much no matter what. Even on your 50th wedding anniversary everyone could see that. See Grandma, you are the most passionate lover I know.

You still smile every time we talk about him and still call him your only love, even though he went to be with the Lord years ago. See Grandma, you are the deepest lover I know.

You decided to move out of your house that you two built together, even if it was the place that held all your memories. See Grandma, you are the wisest woman I know.

You have continued to love and care, even if everything and everyone around you is falling. See Grandma, you are the most Gracious woman I know.

You have continued to live life with a smile on your face and a grateful heart, even when most people would just rather give up. See Grandma, you are the most stable women I know. Your life has reflected loving God and loving others.

For all these reasons and countless more that could write a book, are the reasons I want my life to mirror yours. Even if I just get a piece of it, that's all I need. You are an inspiration to my life. I want you to know the legacy you are leaving behind. I want you to know I will always have you in my heart. I will cherish every memory I had with you. I will never forget what your life has meant to me.

Grandma, I love you with all my heart and you hope you understand what an amazing woman of God you are and how much you impacted my life and will continue to from this day on.

With all the love and thanks I have to give you,

Your great grand daughter Nicole



7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to an amazing woman. She obviously was a shining light to those who knew her, and she has left a legacy that will live on. Love you photo. Just think of all the things those wrinkled hands did over the years to care for and love others. Praise God for the sure hope you have of seeing her again in heaven. Blessings to you. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing legacy your great grandmother left you. You are a very intelligent woman to value her is such a loving way. Love Aunt Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brought tears to my eyes. Wow!! Thanks for sharing about this amazing legacy that was passed on to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My eyes don't get teary so easily, but today they did upon reading the words filled with truth, love and sincerity.Nicole, your expressions are the reflection of the love of Jesus and your life already mirrors Bari Nani's ways. we are blessed to have Klakulaks and both Nani ji.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! it is the most touching letter I have read from people I know. Thanks for sharing it with us. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicole,
    What a beautiful tribute to your great-grandmother. What a special person she must have been! Of course she was privileged to have a great-granddaughter like you.
    What a beautiful photo of the two hands. You should enter that in a competition. You also are a budding author! You have a nice way with words.
    Blessings on you as you study in India.

    ReplyDelete